childcare & domestic staff
Our Family Serving your Family Since 1958.

San Francisco & North Bay  415.749.3650
Peninsula  650.573.1000
East Bay  925.933.2273
Contact Us

The San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) recognizes that parents and caregivers are currently creating Learning Pods for their children. At the same time, San Francisco is experiencing increasing local transmission of COVID-19. Review current data at: San Francisco COVID-19 Data Tracker.

As of August 13, 2020 indoor gatherings with people outside your household are not permitted. Small outdoor gatherings are allowed while maintaining 6 feet social distancing and face coverings. Nannies, babysitters, and tutors may provide indoor services to a household while maintaining social distancing, and face covering.
This SFDPH tip sheet gives you information and resources to help you assess risk and benefits of joining a Learning Pod and provides guidance on reducing risks if you choose to participate.
The school year is quickly approaching, and a lot of uncertainty remains. With many unanswered questions and concerns about safely sending children to school, some parents are looking at hiring an in-home teacher. Some families are considering sharing that teacher with other families in a learning pod. Whether a family hires an in-home teacher for their own household or will be sharing with other families in an outdoor pod, it’s important to follow the same payroll and tax rules as if they were hiring a nanny.
It’s important to note that families are the employers, and that if they will be participating in a teacher-share, each family is a separate employer of that one teacher. That means each family:
  • Must acquire federal employer identification numbers (EIN) and register with the state.
  • Pays Social Security and Medicare (FICA) taxes as well as federal and state unemployment taxes.
  • Pays for a certain number of hours at the teacher’s regular hourly rate, which must be at least minimum wage (and overtime rate if applicable).
  • Must obtain workers’ compensation insurance if required in your state.
  • Must complete Schedule H and file with their own 1040 forms, and issue Form W-2 to the teacher by January 31.
  • Must attain Form I-9 and Form W-4 from the teacher.

For home teachers, make sure that the work agreement specifies your schedule and your duties. If you will be employed by multiple families, the work agreement should include the schedule, wages, benefits, and responsibilities for each family.


Each employment situation is different and deserves a thoughtful approach based upon its specific dynamic. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Aunt Ann’s or to get a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with a household employment expert at GTM call (800)-929-9213.