Founded in 1998 by private care providers in the industry, National Nanny Recognition Week is September 19th – 25th and a way for parents, families and communities to celebrate and show gratitude for their nannies. For nannies, NNRW is a time to honor their work and the positive impact they have on the children they care for. Here are our top suggestions for showing your appreciation to the people making a difference in your little ones’ lives.
- Provide a financial bonus or extra paid day off. Your nanny may be short on funds or working so many hours that they have little free time. Approach your nanny and ask if they prefer a gift of time and/or extra pay.
- Create a photo or scrap book for your nanny with photos of them and your children including special moments or milestones.
- Enlist your children’s help and ask them what they love most about your nanny and what makes her so much fun to be around. Record their genuine responses and create a video montage for her as a keepsake.
- Gift them a membership to the International Nanny Association, where they will have access to valuable tools, informative articles and networking opportunities with other industry professionals.
- Invest in their professional development by providing a course or gift card to the US Nanny Institutewhich offers a variety of courses, or Nanny Care Hub, which offers nanny training as well as conferences.
- Put together a gift basket with a variety of items your nanny will enjoy. It could include a gift card for streaming new movie releases, popcorn, chocolates, fruit and nuts, slippers, and/or fresh flowers for a relaxing night in.
- Gift a monthly subscription box. We love Globe-In for unique artisan goods, Hardcover Cook for cookbooks and ingredient bundles, or Nomadik for those who love the outdoors.
Nannies give so much love and energy to our little ones. No matter how you choose to show your gratitude, include a handwritten card expressing how much you value their hard work and dedication. Feeling appreciated is one of the best gifts of all!